Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Interested in joining an organization that is critical to the future of Montgomery County? The success of a community rests on the ability of its members to be able to connect, share ideas, and address challenges together. To do this, its members must be able to communicate in a common language. ESOL instruction (English for Speakers of Other Languages) has a positive impact on the whole community.
The Montgomery Coalition for Adult English Literacy (MCAEL, a community coalition which expands the quantity and quality of adult English literacy classes in Montgomery County, MD, seeks members for its Board of Directors. English literacy is a core skill for adults to achieve their goals and to clearly steer their families onto a pathways to success. MCAEL’s role as a backbone organization allows it to leverage data, resources and funding to create a multiplier effect for the 60+ organizations and their 1500+ staff and instructors who serve almost 15,000 adults in the county each year.
MCAEL Board Members have the following responsibilities: to ensure that the organization does the best work possible in pursuit of its mission, vision, and goals. The organization has an overall budget of $1.4 million of which $500,000 is the operating budget for 5 staff members. Basic fundamental responsibilities of board leadership include:
* determine MCAEL’s mission, setting strategic goals, and establishing long-term plans;
* ensure the execution of strategic priorities and long term goals
* select the Executive Director;
* secure financial resources;
* serve on one Board committee
* assess the board’s performance;
* participate in board recruitment, orientation, and ongoing board education; provide appropriate fiscal oversight.
The Board meets every other month on the third Wednesday from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Board committees meet during the off months and often by conference call. Board members are invited to represent MCAEL throughout the year at other events, meetings, conferences and community gatherings.
Board terms are 3 years in length with the opportunity for renewal. Board members are required to regularly attend meetings and events and to contribute a personal financial contribution at a level that reflects that MCAEL is a high priority for me to support charitably annually to the organization.
Some preferred qualifications (experience in ESOL or literacy is not required):
(1) Ability to contribute time including in-person meetings, web-based communications, and volunteer hours in
(2) Connections to the local community, particularly with businesses of all sizes
(3) Areas of interest and/or expertise in at least one of the following areas:
(b) Technology for education and/or cross sector communication
(c) Business development and financial management
(4) live or work in East County or Up County
Contact Kathy Stevens, Executive Director, 301-881-1136 or firstname.lastname@example.org