News & Announcements
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
MCAEL is Hiring - Instructional Specialist P/T - Apply Now.
MCAEL Instructional Specialist (Part-time)
June 02, 2014
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Part-Time (25--30 hrs/week)
The Instructional Specialist will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of high-quality professional development for English language instructors. S/he works closely with MCAEL’s Director of Programs & Services to plan and implement MCAEL’s capacity building programs, with a particular focus on the 700+ English language instructors in the coalition network. The instructional specialist will support the overall function of MCAEL’s programs and services.
Weekend and evening hours will be required to accommodate constituents’ needs (on average one weekend day per month).
• Develop and implement instructor professional development institute in concert with overall MCAEL programs
• Serve as staff liaison to Instructor Advisory Group in order to identify professional development needs, seek input, and determine professional development programming to ensure learner achievement
• Collect, analyze and use data in conjunction with MCAEL’s overall data processes
• Facilitate workshops and/or other professional development opportunities for instructors
• Develop & maintain a cadre of MCAEL consultants; hire trainers to lead instructor workshops as appropriate
• Create and maintain communication with instructor community
• Create, revise and update online and print materials designed for instructors, such as instructor toolkits, materials, audio visual aids, etc.
• Provide technical assistance to instructors (individuals and groups); serve as a resource/mentor to instructors
• Observe classrooms and provide feedback to instructors
• Connect assessment with instruction
• Keep abreast of new developments in the field of adult education, specifically with reference to instructional practices
• Attend professional development events and share information gained
• Research projects or information consistent with program goals
• Draft and distribute e-announcements/e-newsletters to Instructor e-list
• Work with other MCAEL staff to keep database, website, social media, etc. updated to engage constituents
• Work with other MCAEL staff to maintain publication, update and distribute of provider directory, in printed and electronic format
• Develop and maintain communication among instructors and connect instructors to the broader Montgomery County community
• Represent MCAEL at community meetings/events and MCAEL events as needed
Other duties & requirements
A candidate for this position must be willing and able to work in a fast-paced environment with diverse constituents. Sensitivity to the range of needs of adult learners, instructors, staff, volunteers and community members is paramount. The ability to balance those needs in a creative, thoughtful, and efficient way is required in order to serve constituents and balance priorities. As in any small nonprofit organization, the Instructional Specialist will be called upon to perform any number of duties, not able to be listed or anticipated, in fulfillment of the organization’s grants and /or contractual requirements, in association with its growth and /or internal needs, and in achievement of its mission. The Instructional Specialist should be able to receive and provide feedback, maintain a sense of humor and participate as a team member and work independently depending on the task at hand.
• Bachelor's degree (in TESOL or related field) or BA(in non-related field) and TESOL certification required; master's in TESOL or similar field preferred
• At least 5 years of proven successful teaching experience in the adult ESOL field
• Have familiarity with local professional development organizations (e.g. WATESOL, MD TESOL, MAACCE etc.)
• Knowledge of research based practices, adult language learning principles, second language acquisition and professional development standards
• Knowledge and understanding of the use of technology for instructional and organizational purposes (website, social media, data collection etc.)
• Appreciation of diversity in programming and understanding of work with community-based programs
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs as well as with social media such as Linked In, Facebook and Twitter. Experience with Salesforce or other database, and e-mail marketing such as iContact
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and professionally with varied audiences
• Ability to facilitate meetings and workshops effectively
• Knowledge of data analysis and ability to use data to improve programs and services
The Montgomery Coalition for Adult English Literacy’s (MCAEL’s) mission is to strengthen the countywide adult English literacy network (now 70+ provider programs) with resources, training, collaborations and advocacy to support a thriving community and an optimal workforce.
MCAEL’s vision is that all adult residents are employable, engaged, and empowered by literacy to achieve their full potential. Further, that all local businesses have access to an English literate workforce.
MCAEL traces its beginnings back to 2002 when the Montgomery County Council, adult English literacy service providers and community stakeholders worked together to address the growing demand for programs and services. MCAEL incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization in 2006 and received its 501(c)(3) tax status in 2008.
MCAEL has two major programs, with a variety of activities:
1. Capacity building – MCAEL provides literacy program staff and instructors professional development trainings and workshops using national best practices and cutting-edge techniques; maintains a library of respected teaching materials and resources; facilitates networking opportunities; and administers County and raises other private grant funds to be awarded to adult English literacy provider programs.
2. Community engagement – collects data on literacy and publishes reports; advocates for resources for literacy; educates and creates awareness about the challenges and solutions to literacy issues facing Montgomery County.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Other benefits include: Vacation, sick and personal time at a rate commensurate with employment status; professional development support.
Applications due to MCAEL via e-mail by July 3, 2014.
Applications should include cover letter, resume and a list of names and contact information for three (3) references.
Applications may be emailed to MCAEL at email@example.com
Receipt of application will be acknowledged. MCAEL will be unable to notify all unsuccessful applicants.