News & Announcements
Friday, May 16, 2014
Great opportunity - MCAEL Seeking Communications Intern
Title: Volunteer Communications Intern (Part-Time 2-4 hours/week)(reports to Executive Director)
The Communications Intern will support the overall function of MCAEL with particular emphasis on communications including social media, web updates, email campaigns, and event outreach. Intern will be able to learn how a nonprofit engages internal and external stakeholders (such as donors, partners) via various social media and online tools and publications, as well as media publicity, article research, and web basics. Some administrative work may be required. Position is for at least 2-4 hours per week, hours are flexible during the 9a.m.-5p.m. work week. This unpaid internship is available for college credits or SSL (service hours) and looks great on a resume! The ideal candidate will be able to make a 6 month minimum commitment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Updates media contacts.
• Develop and implement plan to identify potential new social media contacts and method to engage them (Followers/Likes).
• Assist in drafting/editing email newsletter.
• Assists in drafting social media and email messages to engage MCAEL constituents.
• Tracks website analytics.
• Tracks social media analytics with news & announcements.
• Assists in updating website.
• Maintains news article file.
• Assists in event publicity.
• With guidance from Executive Director solicits items for updating website, social media and newsletters (instructor & learner stories, grant information).
• Other related office duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Interest in supporting a community non-profit.
• Strong interest in learning communications.
• Some knowledge of social media and other online communication tools.
• Ability to suggest ideas to increase organization’s publicity.
• Proficiency in computer software, such as Microsoft Word, and the ability to learn new computer programs quickly.
• Strong writing and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
• Knowledge of HTML and Google analytics is a plus but not required.
• Proficiency in another language a plus, but not required
The Montgomery Coalition for Adult English Literacy (MCAEL) strengthens the countywide adult English literacy network to support a thriving community and effective workforce.
A culturally diverse community where dreams are achieved through the power of literacy.
MCAEL traces its beginnings back to 2002 when the Montgomery County Council, adult English literacy service providers and community stakeholders worked together to address the growing demand for programs and services. MCAEL incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization in 2006 and received its 501(c)(3) tax status in 2008.
MCAEL has two major programs, with a variety of activities:
1. Capacity building – MCAEL provides literacy program staff and instructors professional development trainings and workshops using national best practices and cutting-edge techniques; maintains a library of respected teaching materials and resources; facilitates networking opportunities; and administers County and raises other private grant funds to be awarded to adult English literacy provider programs.
2. Community engagement – collects data on literacy and publishes reports; advocates for resources for literacy; educates and creates awareness about the challenges and solutions to literacy issues facing Montgomery County.
For more information visit www.mcael.org
To apply, submit letter of application, resume and list of three references with contact information to: email@example.com. Position is open until filled.