News & Announcements
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Leaders for Literacy, was a huge success!
The first ever coalition fundraiser, Leaders for Literacy, was a huge success!
Check out photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/90606049@N08/
- Over $20,000 raised
- Thank you to those who donated to literacy and are helping to build a 21st Century Montogmery!
- Special thanks to the event sponsors: Adventist Healthcare, Montgomery College, Sanford and Doris Slavin Foundation, Chipotle, DarCars, John Hopkins University, Montgomery County;
- Where are the funds going? Funds raised will go to (1) directly to participating literacy provider programs, (2) to the community grants that support English classes in Montgomery County and (3) to MCAEL;
- Over 150 community and business leaders participated;
- A great thank you to the inspiring words of Tom Perez, former Montgomery County Council member who was instrumental in founding MCAEL;
- Anjela Ameli, an adult learner, brought attendees to tears with her heartfelt story;
- Thank you to County Executive Ike Leggett, and County Council members, Phil Andrews, Nancy Floreen, George Levanthal and Craig Rice.
- Thank you to all the coalition staff and instructors in attendance including the Literacy Council of Montgomery County, Rockville Senior Center, Seneca Creek Church, Korean American Senior Citizens Association, Spanish Catholic Center, IMPACT Silver Spring, Community Ministries of Rockville, Cedarbrook Community Church and Montgomery College AELG program.
If you could not attend and still want to support English literacy for adults in our community, please visit www.mcael.org/donate.